Preparation: 15 minutes | Cooking: 100 minutes | Serves: 4
Who doesn’t love the fresh, textured and delicious experience of burritos?! Especially those featuring steak!
- 600 chuck steak, fat trimmed, cut into 3cm pieces
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- ⅓ cup chipotle in adobo sauce
- 2 tbsp oregano leaves, finely chopped
- 50 g dark chocolate, chopped (optional)
- 450 g packet long grain microwave rice
- 4 large whole grain tortillas
- ½ cup grated cheddar cheese
- 400 g can black beans, rinsed, drained
- 1 avocado, mashed
- 2 truss tomatoes, diced
- Shredded iceberg lettuce, coriander sprigs, sour cream, lime wedges, to serve
- In a large casserole dish or saucepan heat the oil over medium heat.
- Cook the onion for 5 minutes or until softened, then add the spices and cook for a further 1 minute.
- Add the chuck steak pieces to the dish and cook for 3 to 4 minutes or until browned.
- Finally, add the chipotle sauce, oregano and ¾ cup water. Season, stir well and bring to the boil. Reduce heat to a simmer, cover and cook for 1 ½ hours or until beef is tender.
- Meanwhile, prepare rice according to packet instructions.
- Once the beef is cooked, remove from heat and stir through the chocolate, if using.
- Warm tortillas according to packet instructions. Sprinkle with cheese.
- Top the tortillas with rice, beans, beef mixture, avocado, tomatoes, lettuce, and coriander sprigs. Wrap up the burrito to enclose the filling and serve with sour cream and lime wedges.
- Gravy beef would also work well in this recipe
- The beef filling would also be great in tacos or quesadillas
- Chipotle in adobo sauce is available in the Mexican section of the supermarket or grocer.